Silver Lake: Opportunities Lost
Silver Lake Meeting Notes - April 30, 2008
I. Uses Envisioned for Property
- Passive recreation
- Equestrian trails
- Walking trails
- Biking trails
- Multi-use trails (not all)
- Fishing – bank, boat, and pier
- Non-motorized boating – rental only
- Electric motor boating – rental only
- Swimming – see issue list
- Walking domestic pets on leash
- Nature/historic interpretive activities
- Event-based hayrides, carriage rides, sleigh rides
- Bird watching
- Scuba diving use of quarry, if suitable
- Public Safety uses involving scuba diving in quarry
- Conservation areas – see issue list
- Habitat enhancement areas – see issue list
- Wildlife Refuge – see issue list
- Un-programmed natural areas – see issue list
- Horse swimming (quarry only)
- Dog swimming (quarry only)
- Covered and lit equestrian arena – see issue
- Outdoor equestrian ring
- Stable use –no boarding, 6 to 12 for day use
- Equestrian camping (envisioned as a pre-scheduled group event?)
- Dressage area
- Environmental education
- Environmental education field station
- Primitive Camping – schedule vs. unscheduled
- Day camping – summer-based on activities & facilities envisioned
- Wildlife refuge
II. Supporting Infrastructure
- Security residence - 1 or 2 would be adequate
- Office/field station
- Vehicle entrance gate beyond Rainbow entrance to serve as control point - gate kiosk?
- Antioch entrance improvement – VDOT permit would likely be required
- Signage at entrance
- Picnic pavilions
- Public restrooms – is public sewer and water an option?
- Trail development
- Parking areas
- On-site roadways – gravel
- Docks and piers on lake
- Outdoor ring – level area needed, plus fence and sand
- Need second level area for dressage
- Covered lit equestrian arena
- Stables – 6-12
- Maintenance facility – pole barn type
- Barn for farm park (farm park is on issue list)
- Demolition – 2 old cabins, 1 house, maybe 2
- Intensity/Location of Use
- Covered equestrian arena – more discussion needed regarding lighting, location, intensity
- Primitive camping – scheduled vs. unscheduled?
- Day Camp – number of children?
- Wildlife Refuge – how much and to what extent is public access limited?
- Conservation areas – how much and to what extent is public access limited?
- Un-programmed natural areas – how much and to what extent is public access limited?
- Habitat enhancement – how much and to what extent is public access limited?
- Swimming events
- Farm Park – should it be an allowed activity and what would be frequency and intensity of use?